Itstartedin82 is Tim Coon's weekly updated personal weblog that is used to document his current freelance work, sketch book, and other forms art that he is currently working on. If you would like to contact Tim for a commission you may email him at tcoon@itstartedin82.com or go to his website itstartedin82.com and fill out the contact form on the website.

All work on this site is property of Tim Coon and cannot be used without his consent.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Park Avenue Part 1

Friday at 9 pm I started working on the mural at Park Avenue Salon. I worked till about 8 am in the morning. My first idea was to do a paste up, but then I changed my mind. Then up until 9:15 pm Friday I was going to use a projector. That plan will end when I discovered I couldn't move some of the stations blocking the projector. So I went with the grid method. I was taught how to do this by my first art teacher Bobby Whitaker. It is a task setting everything up but once you start it moves pretty quick. The grid I am painting is 8 feet high and 19 feet wide. Then with the help of Photoshop I created a grid that was 8 inches high and 19 inches wide. It took an hour or so to set up the grid. Then I started sketching it out. I have finished a rough sketch and started painting a few squares. It is a single color painting so it will take a little less time to paint, but it is very detailed so it will still take a long time. My friend Johnny showed up around 3:30 am to give me some company and brought me a Monster energy drink. He did some mopping and cleaning for a while. Then I gave him a brush and had him paint in the solid squares. Here is a picture of the grid I will slowly up date with more pictures as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment